STYLE

Wardrobe Must Have: Chambray Shirt

As much as I’ve been adoring the chambray shirt trend for more than a few seasons, I kept wondering if it was here to stay. Ladies: it is so grab yourself one if you don’t already. What’s nice is that it’s ultra versatile, transforming a glittery mini to a perfect weekend style, serving as a cover up to your bikini, with buttons left open as a quasi cardigan/jacket, and much more. Just look for a good fit. I’ve passed up a few that didn’t fit perfectly in the bust, had really long arms or were way too boxy.

Use this one piece to remix and expand your wardrobe infinite ways, using this as inspiration.

with white jeans /  with pink pants /  layered with mint  /with denim /  with a white skirt / with bright pink shorts with lots and lots of chiffon / with bright yellow open under a dress with green skirt with lots of patterns /with stripes /

Want to get in on the chambray action? Here are a few fabulous finds under the $50 mark:

Topshop / Forever 21 /  J. Crew / Lands End / Old Navy / Gap

39 Comments

Urvashi
    September 9, 2015 at 1:31 AM

Il look e8 veramente dioszileo, un genere che mi piace da impazzire! Perf2..perf2…perf2..ho un appunto su quelle calze!! Troppo lunghe!! Secondo me avresti dovuto optare per delle calzine dello stesso genere ma con risvolto all’altezza della caviglia. Queste, benche8 portate cosec morbide ti smorzano un pochino la gamba! Niente di male comunque, sono piccoli dettagli che si possono migliorare. La borsa rossa invece e8 semplicemente perfetta in questo contesto! Buona giornata 😉

Sierra S
    May 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I love your ideas! We have a few of our own at uniqueindie.com. Here is our post on chambray http://bit.ly/18LS9ua

Josie
    February 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I’ve been on a hunt for the perfect chambray shirt, and I like your post! I want one without pockets–a little dressier version–for work. Where is your #6 from? I can tell that #5 is from J.Crew, but it didn’t seem #6 is Old Navy (you mention Land’s End in reply to someone below, but I think that’s for something else?). Here’s my post on chambray shirts from earlier this month: http://www.openmindfashion.com/1/post/2013/02/must-have-chambray.html. What do you think of the ones I picked out? I’m looking at men’s chambray shirts to save $$.

Erica
    September 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I found an absolutely perfect fit at Forever 21 for around $20. I’m petite but still have distinct curves, and it fit just right, even the arms were perfect. I suggest that people take a look there!

Alyson
      September 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Love Forever 21. They’re merchandise moves so fast that sometimes they have nothing and somethings I want to snag the whole store! So glad you found one.

by Brittany Landers
    September 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

This is my go-to shirt for any mommy errands or even just hanging with the girls! I’ve found great ones at Old Navy…and for the price, you can get every delicious shade of chambray!

Links a la Mode – this week`s 20 best blog posts voted by the Independent Fashion Bloggers (april 5th) | thepalmbeachproper.com
    June 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

[…] Frabulous: Interview with Lula + Tha.DARLINH: DIY: Pastel Bracelet + The Average Girls Guide: Wardrobe Must Have: Chambray Shirt + The Dernier Cri: Fashion Inspiration: Hunger Games + The Sparkle in Her Eye: Your Secret Leg […]

Danielle Hueston
    May 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Our blogs have CRAZY similar content! I think we are telepathic & don’t even know it 🙂 So hope it goes without saying, love your blog!

MissRockwell
    May 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I too love chambray and would wear it each and everyday if I could. It’s so classic and very easy to style.

Casual Weekend | The Average Girl's Guide
    April 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM

[…] navy tank (available in a dozen colors, patterns) / chambray button down (remember my love of chambray?) /   j crew 3″ chino shorts / zara glitter shoe / michael kors tote /delicate knot ring / […]

‘Something in the Air…’ – Links à la Mode - Real Girl Glam
    April 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

[…] Sprinkles: White Wash Simply Frabulous: Interview with Lula Tha.DARLINH: DIY: Pastel Bracelet The Average Girls Guide: Wardrobe Must Have: Chambray Shirt The Dernier Cri: Fashion Inspiration: Hunger Games The Sparkle […]

Ria Michelle
    April 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I love chambray shirts, so fun and easy to wear.

IFB’s links à la mode: april 5th | the dernier cri
    April 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

[…] The Average Girls Guide: Wardrobe Must Have: Chambray Shirt […]

Links à la Mode » made-to-travel.com
    April 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM

[…] The Average Girls Guide: Wardrobe Must Have: Chambray Shirt […]

Links A La Mode: April 5th | the Sparkle in her eye
    April 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM

[…] The Average Girls Guide: Wardrobe Must Have: Chambray Shirt […]

The Vee Bee Diaries
    April 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Great outfit inspirations! I just recently bought a chambray shirt and I can’t say how many time I’ve already worn it. Such a great wardrobe staple.

LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP | Independent Fashion Bloggers
    April 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM

[…] The Average Girls Guide: Wardrobe Must Have: Chambray Shirt […]

Jennifer
    March 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Great post : )  It is such an amazing essential piece!
    Jennifer

Marissa
    March 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I need a chambray shirt sooo bad! Thanks for the affordable options!

Jonnelle
    March 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM

where can I get those pink pants! aaargh!

AvgGirlsGuide
      April 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Right?? They’re from J. Crew but last Fall, I think. Check Gap now for a similar look.

Megan Zietz
    March 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM

id wear all of these, though the chiffon maxi is the most ‘megan’…now to get a chiffon maxi and top.

littleblacksweats
    March 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Amen sister.  I love my denim shirt, and am wearing the same one I wore 10 years ago.  It’s so comfy and broken in, and I love the juxtaposition of a denim shirt with something so over-the-top dressy.  Great post!!

AvgGirlsGuide
      April 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Jealous! Need a 10 year old cozy denim shirt. I have a great old school jacket yet am still searching for the perfect button-down.

Kristin & Megan
    March 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I’ve been looking for the perfect one forever! I still regret not snagging one I saw at Madewell last year!

Fashion By Alicia
    March 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I am so glad that chambray is here to stay!  I picked one up while thrifting but I may need to find another one.

AvgGirlsGuide
      April 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

you found one thrifting?? major score!

Kimberly Anne
    March 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I don’t own one of these! Maybe after my pregnancy, I’ll finally invest in one!

Santina
    March 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I am constantly wearing my chambray shirt (as evident in today’s post: http://stylebysantina.blogspot.com/2012/03/blue-with-side-of-stripes.html). I actually have two – a light and dark version. Great inspiration!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip
    March 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I still don’t have one but my eye is now on the gap version. So cute!

Lindsey
    March 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I recently did a chambray post as well: http://realisticallylovely.blogspot.ca/2012/03/chambray.html

Love the Old Navy top but there are no smaller sizes left. Maybe they’ll have it in stores?

PennyPincherFashion
    March 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

You know I am a big fan of chambray – I’m wearing mine to death!  I would love to find a second shirt that is a little softer, thinner & doesn’t have the flap pockets in front (maybe more like #6 here). 🙂

AvgGirlsGuide
      March 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Ditto! #6 is an awesome one. Also loving the Lands End.

Grace - Stripes & Sequins
    March 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Love a good chambray shirt!  I don’t know why, but I never wear mine… need to change that! xx

AvgGirlsGuide
      March 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Ditto; I have a really old one that I never wear yet seeing all these looks makes me think I need to. On the hunt for a lighter weight one in a lighter color though.

My Dressy Ways
    March 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Absolutely agree and could not love my chambray shirt more. It’s all I can do not to wear it all the time. I picked up mine from Target and it is so super soft and light which makes it the perfect shirt to wear alone (when it’s hot), layered or tucked in to a pencil skirt. I think the key is finding a great fitting one. 🙂 It’s more modern!

AvgGirlsGuide
      March 29, 2012 at 6:56 AM

You do have an awesome chambray shirt; really need one that’s not too heavy, perfect color. The hunt continues!