Vent Sesh: Proud and Saying So

I’m proud of me. I feel weird saying that because I don’t want it to come across as egotistical or something that it’s not but I realize I don’t say that enough — and I have a feeling you might be the same — and I think I should. Often times people say to me, “I don’t know how you do it all” or “wow, you own a business and a blog?!” or something to that effect. I always brush it off, genuinely happy to have the opportunity. However, I was sitting on the plane to New York last Tuesday night, without a magazine or an electronic device, just my brain and my thoughts. {Crazy to even have a true moment to myself!}

And, in that moment, I nearly cried. I was heading to New York, on my own for nearly five days, to attend Lucky Magazine’s blogger conference, and meet women I’ve emailed and tweeted with for two years and connected with in such profound ways or had inspired me yet never seen their face in real life. I was being invited places. I was making my dreams a reality. And, in that moment, I felt really PROUD. Proud of this blog and the women I’ve had the opportunity to meet, proud that I do this while running a two-year old PR company, proud that I am doing this just two years after being stopped in my tracks with a life-threatening illness, and proud of doing so while dealing with all of the bs that each of us deals with on a daily basis that get in the way. That easily give us excuses.

Do you ever have that moment where you take a step back to recognize and fully appreciate your successes? This sounds sooooo cheese, right? But, it’s so true. We get so tied up in the day, in checking Twitter and Pinterest and Instagram and our email whenever we have a split second to ourselves, that we never really STOP. To think. WOW. I’m doing this.

So this nerdy Vent Sesh is telling you that I’m kind of damn proud of myself. I’m also so incredibly grateful for everything and recognize how insanely lucky I’ve been for these opportunities. I know I’ve said it before but I can never say it enough how grateful I am that you (yes, talking to you!) take the time to read The Average Girl’s Guide. It hasn’t reached as many yet as I’d like it to however this past week I had so many incredibly happy moments because of it. That’s what life is about and I feel fortunate that after years of talking about this idea for a web site, I went for it. This is all a result of a conscious effort to make a dream a reality.

Wishing you do the same (and hoping you’ll give yourself some kudos in the comments section!).

Top photo display: with the incredible Jenni of I Spy DIY || impromptu blogger meet-up on the city streets || taking a photo of me taking a photo of food || Mara Hoffman fashion show {insane!} || in the Style Coalition suite at the Empire (where I met THE Yuli Ziv… and TOTALLY nerded out!) || Fashion Night Out with my NYC roomies, Tiffany and Kimberly || with Grace of Stripes & Sequins, among my very first blog friends, who I finally met two years later.

Bottom photo display: Lauren Conrad at the Lucky Magazine blogger conference || with Dianna of The Budget Babe, one of my absolute fav bloggers who I totally admire || NYC view from my room at the Affinia || with Megan of TFDiaries || with Lucky Magazine’s editor, Brandon Holley, and a wonderful editor || even more obsessed with Rachel Zoe after hearing her (important reminder: always be nice!} || Woah, four redheaded bloggers in one photo (adore these  ladies: Alicia, Samantha and Mackenzie) || with Mara Hoffman, I die! I feel awful her eyes are closed but I’m over-the-top-nerdy-girl-excited not to share. Truth.

Kristin Clark
    September 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

hahaha you’re adorable & should DEF be proud of yourself and all that you’ve accomplished!! It was great seeing you at LuckyFABB, love that street pic of all of us! 🙂

Ria Michelle
    September 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You most definitely should be proud of yourself. 🙂

Dianna, The Budget Babe
    September 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Great post. Wish we had more time to chat! Next time you’re in the city (or near Connecticut) we’ll catch up properly.

September 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Proud of you for being proud. Well deserved. You are one of the strongest and bravest chicks I know. Regarding the blog – for me blogging is not about a number of readers but about the number of experiences it affords me. So kick back and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

September 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Great post! Youshould be proud. Working full time plus running a blog plus life equals a busy girl! I’m the same wy with my blog but I’m overjoyed that I turned something that was a hobby into something that is bringing in real money for my family. Basically I rule. And you do too!

Kim Jackson
    September 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

You are definitely allowed to be proud of yourself! It’s not easy to build the life you want, so it’s a fantastic feeling when that hard work starts to bring dreams to fruition. Congrats to you!

September 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM

September 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Aw, you are awesome, and should be proud of all of your accomplishments!

Lauren | Seventeenth & Irving
    September 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

You SHOULD be proud of yourself! On top of that, you’re a mama. I don’t know how you do it all, but it’s truly admirable and I look up to you for it.

September 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Mazel – sounds like your trip was awesome. So happy for you!

hannah @ The Braided Bandit
    September 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

This post is beautiful and inspiring! You go girl! I completely agree that we should be proud of everything we start from nothing! I work full time at an environmental consulting firm during the week, then try to write my blog and run my vintage shop, both of which I started a little over a year ago. I don’t think many people realize how much time and effort actually goes into all of this! As for the event, it looks like so much fun & its so cool that you got to meet your blogger friends in person! Have a wonderful day and congrats to you!
    xo Hannah

Erika Batista
    September 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

You are an inspiration to modern moms and independent women. It is often very hard (for some reason) to give ourselves a nice pat on the back, thank you for reminding me to do so and being proud of ME. Good luck in all! you are great!

Megan Zietz
    September 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Congrats, I’m so glad I was able to bring you as my plus one to Mara Hoffman!

September 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

kudos tenfold! congrats on your pride!

September 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I’m proud of you, too! So fun to finally meet.

Samantha Tananbaum
    September 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Good for you! You should be proud of yourself! Anyone who reads this blog will agree that you deserve all the happiness and success.

Hems for Her, a.k.a. Katie
    September 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I’m proud of you too! And I aspire to reach your level of awesomeness eventually! I am glad to see you brag a little- you’ve accomplished so much!!

[email protected]..
    September 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Of course you should be SO PROUD!! Great things happening for you….and you kinda didn’t mention that you have a 2 year old to boot. 😉 Looks like you had a ball in NYC!

Tiffany M
    September 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM

I love this post and I am proud of you for being proud. You deserve to be proud-you’ve accomplished and been through so much and your proudness inspires me to be proud of myself. I love these vent seshes and they make me want to be a little more honest with my readers as well. So happy I got to spend a few days getting to know you more!

September 12, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Yay for this post – you deserve to be proud about all you’ve accomplished! It was a surreal experience – so glad I got to share it with you!! 🙂